16 Mar 2009

My Wardrobe My Life

Don't worry, I'm not normally this much of a poser, but when my amazing photography student friend, (who also took these) asked me to model for her portfolio, I was happy to oblige. Asked to dress in a way that was 'casual and laid back', but also 'original and distinctively me', this is what I came up with; one of my favourite outfits that encapsulates my idea of casual.


This collarless white shirt is a Topshop bargain, a go-with-anything wardrobe staple that adds a touch of effortless cool to any outfit. Originally bought to dress down a ladylike skirt from H&M for a university interview, this shirt is a new addition to my wardrobe, but is fast becoming a favourite. I love the chic feel of the bracelet length sleeves and the pintuck ruffles on the bib, while the simple cut and soft, flannel fabric gives a folksy feel. When I wear this shirt I feel a bit like a hippie songstress, teamed with a quirky 'bird in a cage' pendent necklace (Accessorize), natural make up and sixties eyes, all I need is an acoustic guitar ...

I wore the shirt with my favourite pair of Topshop skinny jeans. My first pair of skinnies, I've had these grey/indigo jeans since I was 14, and even though they're starting to loose their shape, they're so comfortable that I refuse to trade them in for a new pair. I love wearing these jeans with this brown mini check waistcoat from H&M, another wardrobe oldie, this waistcoat is a versatile goldie. With mini cloth covered buttons and pocket watch pockets, this waistcoat has a suitably 'old mannish' feel about it, like a farmers flat cap, while the satin inner lining adds a luxurious touch.
To finish the outfit off I added a humbug striped straw trilby. An absolute steal from H&M menswear, this trilby is perfect for giving a masculine, day time touch to flirty, feminine outfits that are a bit too girly for my taste on their own. Despite being permanently affixed to my head last summer and getting doused in beer at Underage Festival last year, this hat still comes up good and has held it's title as one of the most flattering things in my wardrobe. Nnow that spring is in the air, I can't wait to make it a wardrobe regular all over again.

34 comments:

Laura. said...

lovely hat!!!

and yes the rodarte leggings are awesome. i want to make my own...

http://aforteforfashion.blogspot.com

jennifer said...

That shirt is definitely a beautiful classic staple piece thing. You look gorgeous ! x

Samantha said...

lovely lovely lovely

phamzy said...

thank you for the comment! yeah, try the diy slashed denim!

you have a wonderful outfit! have a wonderful week.

exchange link? please let me know!


http://ckuf-info.blogspot.com/

Ellie said...

The Men's section rules. Loving the wastecoat and hat.

ilikestuff said...

I love your outfit, and the pictures turned out gorgeous! I'm jealous...I wish I had a photographer friend who wanted to use me as a guinea pig. As it is, I have to beg and cajole just to get my bf to take a few shots of me.

ps
you should post pictures of yourself more often! Don't worry about appearing narcissistic, it really is my favorite part of reading other people's blogs.

E said...

I'm very intrigued by your necklace and your incredible vest. And I'm kind of extremely jealous you have a striped hat. I probably should have kept that to myself.

Ella Gregory said...

I love that hat. It's so cool.

Vintage Lollipops said...

Awesome shots... I love the hat. xxx

Emz said...

That is a really cute vest!

H @ Narnia's Closet said...

cute outfit! it sort of reminds me of a toned down version of annie hall. love mens wear.

Syed said...

That first photograph is wonderful. I love your waistcoat and that trilby!

Couture Carrie said...

Hi sweetie you are looking fab! Love that hat on you!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

THAAANKS:) i love your necklace!
kisses

Ellie Lee said...

LOVE your top and your vest! So fab!

Black Patent Stilettos said...

I wish we had Top Shop in Canada. The texture/colour of your skinny jeans are fantastic!
<3 blackpatentstilettos.blogspot.com

Gloria C. said...

You have such great style :)

SOPHIA said...

Very very cute vest dear. I love it! Thanks for the comment.


-Sophie (http://bonjourmodele.blogspot.com)

Taylor said...

i like the necklace and the jeans a lot!

Niviarsiaq said...

This is a great outfit! I really love how natural it all is which is what you were going for I guess so thats awesome! I have a shirt very simialr to that And you're exactly right about how it feels kind of hippie-ish! You rock that vest!

Amelia said...

I love the mirror pictures. Very nice!

Annabel Wendt (LoveMore) said...

oh your friend takes some hot pis love! you look wonderful, you should do outfit posts more often :)

thanks for your comments love!

xx LM

Siru said...

Noce job! Those seem great. Though it would have been even better out doors, I'm sure.

juliet xxx

gybe ♥ said...

nice outfit :) and that hat so lovely!!

i like it ♥♥

Unknown said...

Your hat is so cute! x

Alecca Rox said...

very cool waistcoat.
hey, ur posting photos of you!
this is new, enjoy posing!

Winnie said...

Great trilby! Sweet necklace too!

this wheel's on fire said...

i like i like :D

Anonymous said...

Your outfit makes me think of old movies ;) Really timeless, androgynous chic

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

love the top! (i have 3 myself :) and vest & hat combo is amazing too!

victoria renee said...

Gorgeous hat.

eluv said...

hey thanks for the comment on my blog :) imwould deffinitely wear that tee with skinnies. and i love your outfit, especially the hat.

Eri said...

Great post, love your waistcoast is very cute!

Anita said...

Great post. lovely your outfits and hat.

https://www.churchblaze.com/blogs/8286